ALBANY — Gov. Cuomo plans to announce sweeping new worker scheduling rules Friday that call for employers to set employees’ schedules two weeks in advance, the Daily News has learned.
The new regulations stop short of prohibiting what’s known as on-call scheduling but require most hourly workers to receive an extra two hours of minimum wage pay for assignments received without two weeks’ notice.
They also require employers to pay at least four hours for shifts that are cancelled within 72 hours of their start time.
“The regulations advanced by the Department of Labor will increase fairness for workers and allow employers to retain flexibility,” Cuomo said.
Cuomo wants hearings on workers’ scheduling woes
The statewide regulations would supersede measures enacted by the city earlier this year that require two weeks’ notice for fast-food workers and end on-call scheduling for all retail workers.
Business leaders slammed the proposed regulations, which are likely to be adopted sometime early next year, as “yet another administrative and financial hurdle” on employers.
“At a time when New York ranks at or near the bottom in nearly every business competitiveness ranking, adopting rules that will make us even more uncompetitive than our fellow states makes no sense,” said Heather Briccetti, president and CEO of The Business Council of New York State.
Cuomo administration officials said new regulations will provide much-needed safeguards to hourly workers who often juggle family and other commitments with their work schedules.
The new rules, officials added, do not apply to workers who “volunteer to cover” another worker’s shift or to employers who cancel shifts due to “an act of God or other cause not within the employer’s control,” such as a weather emergency.
“In New York, we have achieved nation-leading success in workers’ rights, and we will continue to fight to protect all hard-working New Yorkers,” Cuomo said.
Send a Letter to the Editor