This federal agency has a bone to pick with people who give their dogs bones.
The Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners not to give their puppers store-bought “bone treats” because they have led to illness and death.
In the consumer update, the FDA reportedly reviewed 68 cases of dog illnesses because they got sick after gnawing on dog bone treats. Fifteen out of 90 dogs in those cases died. Other conditions included choking, blockage of the digestive tract, vomiting, diarrhea, and bleeding from the rectum.
Bone treats are different from uncooked butcher’s bones. They are processed and packaged in a variety of flavors including “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones.” The FDA says it doesn’t matter if they’re dried or baked, they gotta go.
SEE IT: Dog rescued after refusing to come out of tunnel
Especially ahead of the holidays, the agency is warning consumers not to buy these treats for their dogs as stocking stuffers, the risk is too great.
Carmela Stamper, of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, said in the statement, “Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet.”
Dogs are also discouraged from chewing or consuming actual animal bones from the kitchen, like from a chicken, steak or turkey, as they are also a choking hazard.
Pet owners should consult with their veterinarians to learn which treats are the best for their dog.
Send a Letter to the Editor