TULSA, Okla. (AP) — An Oklahoma school board was set Tuesday to consider the resignation of its superintendent amid an investigation accusing several officials of failing to immediately alert police after a 16-year-old football player said he was sexually assaulted by several teammates.
The agenda for Tuesday’s Bixby school board meeting includes a vote on entering executive session to discuss a resignation agreement for Superintendent Kyle Wood, who has led the 6,000-student district for more than 11 years. The district is also home to an elite football program that’s captured state championships in three of the past four years and is big enough to attract sponsors, including national fast food restaurants and a well-known athletic clothing company.
The board has met several times since the accusations came to light — including one lasting seven hours earlier this month — but has taken no action on the allegations.
Paul DeMuro, Wood’s attorney, said Tuesday he would comment after the board meets.
High school administrators are accused of waiting eight days to contact police to report what they first deemed “an alleged hazing incident” after the football player told officials that a teammate had inserted a pool cue into his anus through his shorts.
The suburban-Tulsa district began investigating the September assault on Oct. 26. Its report included interviews with the boy and his mother, who told officials of the assault, which took place during a team event at Wood’s house.
An affidavit filed by investigators provided a fuller account. The boy told authorities he was assaulted by one player while three others held him down. Investigators say a fifth player recorded the assault on a cellphone, and another blocked a door, according to the affidavit. The boy also told investigators that he was assaulted a year earlier at a similar event that also took place at Wood’s house.
Investigators said officials’ lag in reporting the assault may have jeopardized their ability to recover key evidence. A search warrant said some school officials may have tried to “not report the incident at all” — which is a misdemeanor offense under Oklahoma law.
Pressure had been mounting for weeks from some community members, who blasted board members for refusing to at least suspend the accused officials pending the result of an outside investigation, which is being conducted by a special prosecutor and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.
Spokeswomen at both agencies said Tuesday that both investigations are ongoing.
Back to Top